In 1923, A.J. Armstrong, W.L. Brown, J.H. Kelly, Dr. C.E. Jones, the Rev. W.H. Lampley, J.H. Sanders, and Albert Wright founded the Maury County Colored Hospital to serve African Americans in Maury and surrounding counties. The hospital suffered financial and staffing difficulties during World War II, but remained in use by the African American community. The hospital closed when the Maury Regional Hospital opened in 1954.